Monday, April 22, 2013

Perpetuate Indigenous Identity: Adorn Yourself!


As highly cultural people many of our ways have been repressed via mainstream american acculturation but we have never been wholly assimilated. WE as a People have always carried on our ancestral ways of Personal Adornment. Adornment with jewelry items made by our family and artists in our community has allowed for us to overcome and continually survive. WE wear our wampum, abalone, turquoise.....as armor that protects us and keeps us!

I am happy to see people of Indigenous background wearing their tribal items in the 21st century. Indigenous Adornment is our Survival: it is our pride, it is our happiness, it is our balance and always an homage to our ancestors.

As I head out the door to begin my day of good things, I always make sure I have on my turquoise. Its my protection, my grounding.

I send you blessings,
venaya

No comments:

Post a Comment