Friday, April 26, 2013

My desert lineage.Hopitu.




Historical photograph of a Hopi (Pueblo) girl wearing her hair
in traditional young women's style.Circa 1880s era.
GraphicART by Venaya Yazzie

As an adult woman I have come to recognize how vital my lineage is as I perpetuate my Indigenous ways of being in the 21st century.  Because my People endured prayed, and survived, I too survive and thus in many ways continue the journey of  my ancestors.

I was born in northwestern New Mexico on the Diné lands and raised the communities of Huerfano and Farmington, but I also have connections to the Hopi Pueblo people of Arizona.  The Hopi heritage I carry in my blood originates from my late father's side of the family.

The memories I carry about my late father are rooted in story of family ties.  My father used to tell me about his father (my paternal grandfather) who was from the Hopi Pueblo nation of Arizona in Polacca.  My dad was a brilliant man and I will always adore him.

Today I am working on making familial connections to my relatives in Arizona and because of this current journey I am learning more and more about cultural Adornment in the Hopi world.


No comments:

Post a Comment