Wednesday, January 9, 2019

"be matriarch" by yazzgrl art





Another venture I have been working on is the celebration and recognition of the southwestern-Indigenous culture of the 'matriarch.'

I am very fortunate to have been raised within the matriarchal society of the Dine' (Navajo) people of New Mexico.  The Navajoland (Navajo Reservation) spans three states in the Four Corners area of the America. The main land base of the Navajo is in Arizona and flows over to Utah and New Mexico.  We are blessed to be surrounded by other Indigenous nations including: Hopi, Zuni, Apache, and Ute people. The land itself is a blessed place to be, for we have the desert low lands and the high desert mountain areas of Navajoland.

For my Dine' people the land is everything to us.  The origins of who we are as humans first and foremost concerns the land.  Our identity concerns the land, its in our songs, prayers and clanship origins. And to this is the rooted existence of tribal matriarchy.  We as Dine' are a lineage of the our clanship groups, which are continually passed through the female.  When we born, we are belong to the clanship of our mother, and will never change throughout our lives. And, in a matrillenial culture, we are "born for" our father's clanship - this clan affiliation will change for our children because they will be "born for" their father's clan.

I give this brief history of the Dine' ways of being because it is where I drew inspiration for my new message "be matriarch" by yazzgrl art.  I share this image of my new 'be matriarch' decals because they are so cute and have a great message. They are 2.75" x 2.75" and available now on my Square site store.



Many matriarch blessings to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment