Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Misuse of Indigenous Languages




Captures of the webiste hozhodreamcatchers .com


Recently I became aware of an outfit from Pune, India that makes and sells the trendy, new age, wannabe item: the dreamcatcher. The idea of this bothers me but what I am most disturbed by is their disrespectful use of my Dine' language, and expression of 'hozho' to sell their foul product(s).

I posted my discontent on their Instagram site HozhoDreamcatchers (.com)last evening  and when I checked back this morning they deleted it.

As 21st century Indigenous people WE collectively deal with so much negative stereotypes of our culture whether it be the Halloween "Indian Princess" costumes or the use of our image as mascots - but I have not seen the misuse of our Indigenous languages... until now.

This company from India is culturally misappropriating the Dine' (Navajo) term 'hozho.' This term is a Navajo expression - and is used in healing ceremonies. I am not happy with their use of the word to sell their products.

Indigenous Native languages are sacred - I believe they are tied directly to the soul or identity of the person, in this case the Navajo person. Just because its found on the Internet or in a book does not mean it should be mis-used or used by a non-Navajo person to sell their product.

Be vigilant my Indigenous - protect and fight for your culture and language.


No comments:

Post a Comment