Monday, September 26, 2016

Good earrings all around





Earrings made by Hopi Pueblo artist M. Honyouti
_______________________________
Photo credit- Venaya Yazzie 2016
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Wearing earrings made by Hopi artist M. Honyouti
__________________________


Imagination is the key to successful art.

In my opinion - the more diverse experience a person has the more complex and interesting their art is. The number of southwestern desert artists is abundant and so there is a wonderful variety of art in the Americas.

Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to travel the desert homleands and thus have explored and found new artists. But, this time it was social media that I trekked and found a great Hopi artist who makes these 'nizhoni-ful' earrings. I have seem many earrings in my day and by far these are the most 'beautyful' and so very unique. I recently purchased these earrings from M. Honyouti who is an Arizona artist. He makes Hopi carvings and also these awesome earrings - his work is showcased online. ( His website is at www.mhonyouti.com )

With each art piece I purchase I find it like adding a new family member. These earrings are my new favorites, and I wear them with happiness. For me this is about 'adorning' oneself with the spirit of creativity and therefore an act of Indigenous Adornment. And too, its a birthday present for myself - today is my birthday!

Blessings.




No comments:

Post a Comment