Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Where she feels at home, shimasani.



My masani, my maternal grandmother's lineage is based at Huerfano, NM. This area of the Navajoland is located in present day northern New Mexico. Yes, Navajos live in New Mexico. We sometimes have to explain this to people who are not from the southwest, as most carry the assumption that all Navajo are from and live in Arizona.

My Navajo family line is rooted in this area which the tribe as deemed, 'eastern Navajo.'  My extended family is from this community which includes: Huerfano, Otis, Blanco and Kimbeto

I share this history and photo because I am proud of where I come from, and too is my masani. I take her back 'home' as often as I can so she can spend time in the environment of her childhood and adulthood here. I love this photo as it depicts the area well, as you can see the Huerfano Mesa is in the background. This 'home' is in our family's collective memory, each cedar tree, juniper and sage is a part of our cultural landscape, this is where our hearts dwell, no matter where we all are in the world.

Hooghan, this Navajo term is everything to us as Dine'.



No comments:

Post a Comment