Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Masani and mePhoto

Photo credit: Venaya Yazzie 2016
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


The story of my maternal grandmother concerns: nomadic life, boarding school, religion, arranged marriage, and so much more.

I often find myself in awe of her life. When I find myself feeling sorry for me, I think of all my grandmother has been through in her life. She is a Navajo heroine, a true woman of strength and dignity. She is the model for my life as an adult. I feel so very blessed to be able to care for her in her golden age, she blesses my spirit on a daily basis. But, above all by her expression and grace she has humbled my human condition of pride. When my grandmother enters a room my ego goes running away like a coyote with its tail between its legs.

In the Navajo sphere of life, the family unit has the understanding and importance of the role of the first-born female granddaughter to the first-born daughter.  In this case I am the 'first-born granddaughter' and my mother is the 'first-born daughter' - to my grandmother Jane. I am identified as 'tsoi.' This is a term of endearment, when my grandmother or any female elder or clan affiliated aunt expresses this to me, its about my identity as a continuing legacy of them, our Navajo clan.

When I was  younger woman I did not respect this term, in fact I did not want to live up to it. I wanted my own way, my own choices of longing to be an "American" - following the life of modern society, which led me down the path  of not thinking about my grandparents. But, thankfully I seen the light, and I feel I am understanding and respecting my role better.

My role as 'tsoi' asks me to be a caretaker for my grandmother and I do not hesitate. The elder woman express that its a 'good thing' for me to be present, cause that is why I am here, to ensure the care of my maternal grandmother. I am blessed by this identity.

Beauty all Around.




No comments:

Post a Comment