Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Ancestral Dine' Ruins - Frances Canyon in Dine'tah, NM

"Offerings"
Frances Canyon Ruins - Dinetah, NM
Photo by Venaya Yazzie 216



This weekend I was able to join family and friends on a trek to the area Navajo people call 'Dine'tah.' This area in the place of beautiful cedar, juniper, sage, rabbitbrush, sandstone rocks, it is in the area near Navajo Dam and Gobernador, in northwestern New Mexico.

I am always happy to visit these places which are called 'ruins', but in many ways they are still 'alive' in that the memory and time are still there. This photo was taken by me on Saturday at the place called Frances Canton Ruins. I was moved to share my 'doot'lizhi' , my turquoise earring pieces with the place while I visited.

This space is special to me and many Navajo people for the reason that it is where our Dine' ancestors built these rock dwellings called "Pueblitos." We lived here as a way of shelter from the government military and while here my people also helped shelter the Pueblo people from the Spanish government.

The area is sacred and should always be visited with respectful intentions.


No comments:

Post a Comment