Tuesday, December 15, 2015

BlueBird Handbags by Venaya VJ Yazzie Dine'/Hopi


BlueBird Handbag made by Venaya VJ Yazzie 2015



I have been designing and creating these BlueBird Handbags for several years now. I was inspired to make them from my family and especially by my maternal grandmother who always 'resourced' these flour bags for other uses. Growing up with my great grandmother, maternal grandmother and various aunties and cousin-sister I seen how they all had perpetuated the idea of recycling, reusing, re-utilizing items for other purposes.

So I began to use a mix of material that were 'recycled' from other materials in making my handbags. I use the BlueBird flour bag as the base of my bags then add other items such as remnant material, belt straps, recycled zippers and on and on with re-purposed items.

No comments:

Post a Comment