Monday, February 10, 2014

Pan-Indin' Adornment.21st century.

Powwow Adornment
Photo property of Venaya Yazzie 2014

The ways of Indigenous adornment in the southwest goes beyond silver and turquoise, for their are those such as I that participate in the 21st cultural ways of the powwow circle.


My family has always been very multi-cultural, we have family members of many ethnic backgrounds, including different tribal groups. My step-father is a member of the Turtle Mountain Chippewa tribe of North Dakota, and from him I learned and danced the way of his people. I am a Jingle Dress dancer and he is a Northern Traditional dancer.



This photograph depicts the Indigenous Adornment of the powwow people living in the Four Corners area. My dad and I were photographed by a traveling photographer at a powwow on the Jicarilla Apache Nation.


No comments:

Post a Comment