Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Happy Bday.Shima'.



Photo by Venaya Yazzie 2013
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

The month of American society's September is the uneventful ninth month of the year, but for the Dine' it is a month of many cultural events including the most important activity of harvest. And too, it is a most important time for my family as we have more than seven birthdays in it.

For the Dine' this month concerns everything about crop harvest. It is what we call,
Bini'ant'aatsoh, or Large Harvest as it is related to the arrival of the Harvest Moon.

Everyday I feel so very blessed to have my maternal 'shi'/Masani' in my life. Everyday I am fortunate to see Dine' ADORNMENT perpetuated in the 21st century. She wears turquoise faithfully, it is her ritual, it is her lifeway and I try everyday to reflect such a matriarch.

To my family I express: Baa Hozhogo Nii Deseschii. Happy Birthday! esp. Masani./Shima'.

No comments:

Post a Comment