Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dine' Cultural Jewelry. Cultural memory.




My cultural memory involves jewelry.
My cultural landscape involves jewlery making items.

Growing up I have always been among turquoise and silver cultural items via jewelry pieces. Looking at my grandmother's family photo albums I find my childhood included a plethora of tiny silver bracelets, rings and earrings. In some I am ADORNED in my great-grandmother's own fine jewelry. I am happy about this heritage I carry now with me as an adult, and that is why I have started this blog: to share.

In the 21st century I still ADORN myself with southwestern tribal jewelry pieces just as I was ADORNED as a young girl. I own a good variety of Navajo and Pueble made jewelry items and am always on the lookout for adding new ones to my collection.

Today, I am going to share some of my cultural jewelry pieces I have photographed and share some of the stories behind them. Why? Because each jewelry item has their very own story, and they all perpetuate INDIGENOUS cultural  jewelry ADORNMENT in some way.

Blessings.  vj

No comments:

Post a Comment