Friday, May 24, 2013

What is Beauty?



As an adult we have many responsibilities, for some it is earning money for a house, for some it is being parents, for others it might be life on the road. Living in the presence of my grandparents is the life that has been presented to me. Therefore, I feel  I am continually blessed, educated and humbled on a daily basis.

When I think of what "beauty" is, what the essence of "beauty" is, it is the ways of the Indigenous Elder.
The experiences I have on a daily basis in the presence of Dine' elders is about the true Indigenous ways of being and thinking.

We, as individuals of modern society, are constantly bombarded via technology about what defines "beauty." And if we really stop to ingest this concept of beauty it is only about the physical, it is one-dimensional and in many ways simple and boring. Yet when I really ponder from the Indigenous perspective at "beauty" it is purely spiritual, truly organic.

The things that make my grandparents and or many other Dine' elders beautiful or nizhon are that they seem to constantly seek to keep the balance in life.  For my grandmother is it her socializing with friends and family while always keeping prayer a constant in her life. My family is rich mentally, spiritually becuase of her.

My masani is also my mother, she is beauty sitting in the orange sunset glittering with blue stones on her ears, wrists and chest. Her turquoise jewlery is her essence in the physical.

No comments:

Post a Comment