Thursday, March 16, 2017

Turquoise, it's just not a 'pretty stone'



Repost of a public Instagram image and expression
Photo via Instagram from hippiecuratorpeace 2017

Today I share this capture of a fellow Navajo woman from the state of Arizona in the 'heart' of Navajo land. She posted this public post via Instagram recently, and well, it is just what I needed to see to keep me inspired. And please note I only share it as a visual of how I have been inspired, and I do not mean to interpret her viewpoint.

The expression reads:

Turquoise is recognized by the Holy People that you are Navajo & they watch & protect you...

In the initial reading of this post from social media I think I was a bit unsure if I was reading this passage - or if I was just listening and musing on my own thoughts on the subject. But, I became happily aware that indeed it was a post from a fellow Navajo woman I know and admire. I only share this post because of the cultural relevance and cultural value of turquoise, and the power it tells of.

In this year of 2017 alone I have witnessed how the interest in southwestern desert cultural jewelry of the Pueblo, Navajo, Hopi and Apache has become "trendy." I have always seen how the non-Indigenous person uses it, many cases as a quaint decoration on a couture model who is selling the latest high-dollar fashions.  But, the ways I see turquoise and silver being worn is by young, new generation Indigenous peoples from across the Americas is questionable.

Don't get me wrong I think its a good thing to have concepts of 'pan-Indian' sharing of cultural items, but in many cases I see how turquoise jewelry (thought some is only objects) is being misused and therefore, disrespected by non-southwest Indigenous people.

For as a member of two southwestern tribes I know the origin stories and spiritual connections of what turquoise is for many of us. For the Pueblo, Navajo, Hopi and Apache people the turquoise stone is much much more than just a pretty blue hued stone, for it is power. As desert people we are taught the spiritual importance of turquoise as an amulet of protection, and therefore for many of us understand the direct connection to our ancestors and unseen protectors. I assume that the misuse of the turquoise by others is because many don't know the true history, and ancient story of turquoise in the southwestern (and in Mexico) cultures, and so it is used in a disrespectful way.

One of the many examples of misappropriation of a specific desert culture's jewelry item(s) is the Squash Blossom necklace. I've seen it worn by scantily-dressed, overtly sexualized Indigenous women, who wear it as a 'decoration' to sell their ill-mannered image. For me this thinking with a 'colonized' mind and therefore acting in the way of the 'colonizers.' . This is disappointing on many levels.  First, such a cultural jewelry item (the Squash Blossom necklace) is one that traditionally one must earn. In many cases, this jewelry item is only worn my elders in the tribal communities. And furthermore, such a cultural item bears concepts of strength and wisdom that perhaps a tribal desert matriarch carries. Secondly, wearing turquoise should not be intermingled with those individuals who don't respect its rich historical story. Speaking about my upbringing via the Navajo people, my mother's bloodline, turquoise is a amulet filled an abundance of power of protection, for it is given to the newborn baby and tied to the cradleboard for this reason. This Dine' philosophy of reasoning is to protect the baby from evil, but also so the baby can visually see the turquoise as they grow to live a 'beauty' way of life.

Furthermore, it is told to many (although I feel many young Navajo are not being taught this) Dine' that we should wear 'dootlizhi' / turquoise so that the Holy People will see us and therefore bless us. I think this is so amazing! To know and have faith that this stone will ensure that we are blessed in a good way by our spiritual ancestors, this is living a life free from American colonization.

Okay, I know many who read this might say, 'Who does she think she is telling us this?' I know everyone has the right to do whatever they want in their lives, but I think one should start to think twice about the origin of the cultural jewelry items they choose to 'adorn' themselves with. Acculturation of a tribal communities items is not in a good way, and it is not only the non-Indigenous people who are doing this, but other tribal people.

I only share this because I want to share knowledge and continue the dialogue about such things, this is how we all find understanding an respect for each other and grow stronger in our cultural ways.

Ashoodi.



No comments:

Post a Comment