Saturday, March 4, 2017

Neo NavaHopi Art



New art by Venaya Yazzie
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2017


The season of change from the cold of winter to the first green plant-life of coming spring has got me inspire- I can be found inside the splendor of my studio at most times.

Lately I have been amidst 'neo' imagery of the desert matriarch. Much of what I paint concerns the adornment ways of the desert people in their cultural attire, hairstyle and of course, our tribal indigenous adornment of turquoise.

I grew up with this fine blue stone in my daily life, as I am sure most of the southwest indigenous people have. I know many of us carry with us still, the family heirloom pieces passed to us through our matriarchs.  The turquoise stone is the heart of my desert life and belief, it has always been this way. I'm pretty confident that if you were to talk about turquoise to a Dine' or Pueblo Indigenous person you would be blessed to hear some grand, beautyful story of their prized jewelry piece.

I am currently amidst a mini collection of paintings. I have this one above to share, its a modern depiction of a Hopi maiden- she wears a manta, turquoise earrings and she is adorned with her tradition Hopi women's hair style.

I wish you blessings and much inspiration.




No comments:

Post a Comment