Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Metamorphasis of my Yazzgrl Art







Original Mixed Media Art (Diptych) by New Mexico artist, Venaya Yazzie
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2017 Venaya Yazzie

My art has changed through the years. I started doing art markets as a "real" artist in 1996 - about one year after I graduate from the Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Arts (IAIA) in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

While a student at IAIA I was enroled in the Two-Dimensional Arts Program where I studied Photograpy. I worked with great Indigenous photographers as my instructors including Larry Mc Neal and Delilia Martinez, a Chicana photographer.

I never took a painting class while at IAIA, but instead painted after hours in the rustic art studios with friends who were painters.  I had a great mentor after I graduated from IAIA. He was and is a metal artist, and it is he who helped guide me and teach me the 'ropes' of what selling my art meant.

It has taken many years to get where I am now, I did all the hard work in establishing myself as a Dine'/Hopi Indigenous Woman Artist.  The task of finding my place in the Indigenous art world was tough, but I did it and I am still going steadfast.

This is one example of my mixed media art pieces. I have always adored the old historical photographs of my desert southwest people, and so it was easy for me to take inspiration from such strong matriarchal icons.

More of my work can be view at:




By Venaya J. Yazzie 2017
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments:

Post a Comment