Friday, March 17, 2017

A day with two of my favorite people




'Mamasaan' - my lovely desert matriarch
Photo courtesy of  Venaya Yazzie 2017
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


Yesterday I was blessed to spend a: my maternal grandmother and her older sister. It has been awhile since we all have been able to converge and dialogue about life and the memories they both have of life in the San Juan Valley and Tota' where the Navajos inhabited before the settlers from the east.

The ages of my 'masani's are 86 and 92. They were born in the high desert lands of northwest New Mexico (Navajoland) in the era just before America's Great Depression. Born in a time of turmoil in the already chaotic urban American cities, my two desert matriarchs (and my great grandparents) were living a good, fulfilled, prosperous life in the communities between present-day Huerfano, NM and Farmington, NM.

At this time the Navajo were still involved in a nomadic way of life. They traveled from summer home to winter home, and planted crops were the waters were in abundance. For my family this was the Animas River valley, at a time when the water was cleaner and more abundant than today.

Both of my grandmothers were blessed with the creative way of life. They, just like there mother were (and are) grand rug weavers, they are also excellent seamstress'. I love to be in their presence, so in many ways I think of them fondly as my muses - who keep me inspired and strengthen me to continue a good Art lifeway.


My lovely desert matriarchs
Photo courtesy of  Venaya Yazzie 2017
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


I was able to capture this image of them together, they express their sister-adoration by referring to each other as 'shideezhi' and 'shadi' -which are Navajo language expressions of 'older' and 'younger' sister. Although I attempt to describe or translate the Navajo language to English there is no equivalent to terms that can match the exquisite beauty of Navajo.

These two woman are my rock, and I will always hold them in high esteem. I fashion my though and tangible life after them. I am grateful every day that they are in my life and that I get to dialogue with them. Creator God made some great humans when he divinely create them and delivered them to this earth, and my humble existence.

Love the desert matriarch.


By Venaya J. Yazzie 2017
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment