Thursday, January 26, 2017

Visualize




I've been amidst research concerning 'Indigenous Adornment,' but more specifically the early ways of Dine' (Navajo) adornment.  Recently I found a wonderful publication titled, Desert Mesa by A.W. Icke and it has the most brilliant description of Navajo 'adornment in the era of the 1930s.

Visualize.

...but their real dress consists of white cotton trousers, split or a few inches up the sides, a velvet blouse, often some bright hue, dull red moccasins with silver buttons, and a belt studded with silver disks, called conchos. Often turquoise earrings and necklaces are added, and if you look closely, you will see a tiny turquoise bead tied in the knot of hair, a very precious goodluck charm.

The publication written by a non-Indigenous woman gives a good description of her study of Dine' male attire. I adore this passage.

The more I read about 'adornment' the more I am inspired. I am feeling very good about my own manuscript in progress.

Blessings.




No comments:

Post a Comment