Tuesday, January 24, 2017

I am a painter, an artist




The artist that is me
Photo courtesy of Venaya Yazzie
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2017


My life has been blessed. I truly believe this. The Creator God I believe in blessed me with the most loving and amazing maternal grandparents. They took me in as an infant and raised me up in a good way.  I don't know what my life would have been like if they weren't there to guide me.

But, the life I grew up in wasn't at all perfect. In fact I grew up in a family plagued with many issues that gave strife, but the one social ill that lurked in my extended family was alcoholism. As a child I was afraid of some of my male relatives because I knew them to be two different people, sometimes they were nice to me and sometimes they were mean. As I grew older I understood it was the affects of alcohol that determined their demeanor. But, I think I am stronger for being amidst that drama, growing up with social ill in my life was challenging, but it did not affect who I was to be as an adult in this world.

All my life, I have been 'drawn' to the Arts... or should I say the 'Art Way.' As an Indigenous person, as a desert being, as a Navajo and Hopi woman Art was and is part of a way of life. We, as a distinct and strong culturally aware people do not separate art from life. For in many ways we are taught that the creative spirit is in all the things we do on a daily basis. So, art and living the art way was normal. I had my wonderful aunts and grandmother's who were weavers and other extended family members who were silversmiths and jewelry makers.

But, one thing that was void in this talented family was the painters. I guess that role in many ways was set aside for me. So, I grew up with the art tools that I sought out on my own and retrieved them and used them for my early art. As a young person,  I loved my art classes in elementary school, and thus excelled in my high school art courses.

When I was two years out of high school I found my path to the Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Arts school in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I figured out puzzle of applying for higher education, sent in my paperwork and my high school art portfolio and was accepted.

Art is my life. I am a follower of the art muse. That is how it is for me. And I believe it will always be that way. Art has been my constant companion through the myriad of ups and downs of life. Art has never broken my heart or shouted terrible words to me, Art is my sacred. I share this with you because I think the world needs the Art Way. Art can heal. It has the power to change lives and to stay as a ever-present muse if you accept it and respect it.

Blessings.



By Venaya J. Yazzie 2017
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



No comments:

Post a Comment