Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The gull of non-Indigenous to justify their Cultural Appropriation of the Navajo Language


This is Cultural Appropriation






I am a Navajo person - my desert lineage is rooted in the American southwest. I am a Navajo woman of many generations of Dine' blood and clan lines from my matriarchs. I was raised to know the right ways to live a good life and to point out or speak out against injustice or ill-mannered intentions.


This posting concerns a non-Indigenous company from India, who are making so-called "dreamcatchers" which they describe as "pan-Indian." Basically they are copying the cultural item from the Ojibwe tribal people in the Americas and selling them as their own work inspired by their love and adoration of the culture.



My main concern though is the use of my Navajo language, or should I say the misuse of my sacred Navajo language expression of 'hozho.' This term is not one to be used in a way that is disrespectful or out of term. It is the medicine people of my tribe who use this expression to help my Dine' people heal. This company however is using the term 'hozho' to sell their products online. They are using the expression in a way that is disrespectful. They are not Navajo, and just because they found the term online does not give them full permission to use it in a wrong way.


This non-Navajo entity is trying to justify using my tribal language expression as okay. According to their website they state:

"The word Hozho has an independent meaning in the dictionary. It can be easily looked up on the Internet to find its roots in the Navajo thesaurus..."

This may be the case but it does not mean you can use the term loosely and for your own gain.  The Navajo language is a sacred language, as a Navajo I do not agree with this company using my language as a marketing 'tool' to sell their new age, wannabe products.

They posted this information yesterday and it can be reviewed at their site:


Honestly, if your trying to sell a product find an expression in your own language to sell your kitsch Hozho Dreamcatchers. 






No comments:

Post a Comment