Tuesday, June 28, 2016

My 1st post from 2013

Desert foot adornment, moccasins.
Photo by Venaya Yazzie2016
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


Today I share with you a new photo capture of my trek to Shiprock, New Mexico today.
I was honored to share my cultural knowledge with Navajo people at the 10th  Annual Adahodilzin -Reverence for Self Youth Conference.

I met new people and shared my story and experiences which I hope the youth will carry with them and share with their circle. 

I also wanted to share my very first posting on Indigenous Adornment for 2013. It doesn't seem like that long ago when I created this blog on behalf of the traditions of my beautyful Navajo and Pueblo desert dwellers in the southwest.

Here is the posting from 2013:


As highly cultural people many of our ways have been repressed via mainstream american acculturation but we have never been wholly assimilated. WE as a People have always carried on our ancestral ways of Personal Adornment. Adornment with jewelry items made by our family and artists in our community has allowed for us to overcome and continually survive. WE wear our wampum, abalone, turquoise.....as armor that protects us and keeps us!

I am happy to see people of Indigenous background wearing their tribal items in the 21st century. Indigenous Adornment is our Survival: it is our pride, it is our happiness, it is our balance and always an homage to our ancestors.

As I head out the door to begin my day of good things, I always make sure I have on my turquoise. Its my protection, my grounding.

I send you blessings,
venaya


No comments:

Post a Comment